TCT Meeting/September 2013 Minutes

From Xen
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

  • Daniel De Graaf
  • Ian Campbell
  • James Bulpin
  • Jason Douglas
  • Jan Beulich
  • Jun Nakajima
  • Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  • Lars Kurth
  • Matt Wilson
  • Sherry Hurwitz
  • Boris Ostrovsky

Review Action Items

  • Lars: logistics of opening up the call

Hard to open the call completly for practical reasons, but could relax the rules and allow people to request an invite and manage that way.

Konrad was in favour of an open call, but the above works for him.

Lars will talk with Ian about practicalities and send round a detailed proposal.

Current Technical Challenges

Recurring need for pings on VMX/SVM/IOMMU patches

Jan finds the turn around, especially for the above areas, to be far too slow. Each patch series requires continual pinging to get a response. Will it be possible to improve. Both Intel and AMD are aware.

Ian: Can Jan escalate via email to someone? Sherry: Can be CCd if things are not getting a response.

Jan: is specificaly worried about lack of response from people listed in MAINTAINERS. Jan wants to avoid pushing patches without review, especially in these areas where things can go wrong.

Sherry: Vendors have access to larger test beds.

Jun: Is a resourcing issue. Need a focal point, Jun will figure out who that should be.


Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Jun: to figure out the focal point. Will Auld is the respective person.

Jan: Doesn't need a response within hours, but should be a couple of days but not weeks or months.

Coordination of current and future work

xend

Matt: People are still using xend

Ian: It has been deprecated for two years and two releases.

Matt: Wants to keep it on lifesupport. Wants to add some MAINTAINERS, tagged obsolete.

Ian: What level of support? Concerned about new deployments.

Matt: Not ressurected or supported, but somewhere for patches to go.

Ian: Could we create xend.git?

Matt: Need to think about how much to get rid of? e.g. keep Python bindings.

Ian: Move xend and xm into another tree, but retain bindings in the tree.

Konrad:

Ian: Breaks the build, consumes test resource.

Konrad: Need to make sure xl is a good replacement

Ian: We've been asking for two release now. How do we make progress.

Konrad: Need to make sure there are no regressions, because some people still depend on it.

Ian: That should be up to the people who are using it.

Matt: Should not remove from osstest.

Konrad: Disable in the build by default, big warning reference to xl.

Ian: Disabling the build is the very minimum.

Ian: How about Disable for 4.4 and delete first thing after 4.4 release.

Jan: Is in favour of that.

Jan: How about make all remaining 4.4 blockers regressions

Matt: We need "xl create -S" to work, otherwise need to rework their toolstack. But sxp supprt does not seem like the best thing for the project.

Revision:

It's "xl create -F". 
Matt: Things like "xl create -F" don't work. But sxp support does not seem like the best thing for the project.


Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Matt & Konrad: to reply to the 4.4 planning thread with their BLOCKERS.

Boris: Do we need to post to xen-users?

Ian: It's been in the release notes several times.

Various: No one reads that stuff, or lists etc.

Ian: We've done enough

james: Warnings when running xm


Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Ian: to write said patch

PV NUMA

Matt: First series sent out by intern, are we expecting any more?

James: Dario has been mentoring, just back from vacation, but thinks more is coming soon.

Konrad: Another RFC will be submitted.