Xen Project Document Days
|The Xen Project Wiki has been subject to a severe spam attack in the last several months. To solve this and keep the wiki usable for everyone, we had to lock down the wiki and create an editors group. Please fill out this form and we will add you to the group.|
What is a Xen Project Document Day?
Xen Project document days are all day IRC events, facilitated by members of the Xen Project community. The purpose of Xen Project Document Days is to
- Improve user documentation
- Improve developer documentation, including the creation of man pages, etc.
- Improve and maintaining the wiki: this means fixing important pages, retiring old ones, help identify what is and isn’t important, write new pages, etc.
How Does it Work?
- Request to be a Wiki editor
- Join us on IRC: freenode channel #xendocs
- Tell people what you intend to work on (to avoid doing something somebody else is already working on)
- Fix some documentation
- Help others
- And above all: have fun!
THEME OF THE MONTH: "Ready for 4.6"
This month, we respond to the release of Xen Project 4.6 in early October. We need to make sure that users of the new release can find the documentation they need to make it all work. So, this month, we need to:
- Add new documentation for new features
- Modify existing documentation for anything which is changing in the newest release, and
- Deprecate old documentation, letting people know that certain information is applies only to older releases
Check out the current documentation, and anything which doesn't map to 4.6 (or 4.5) commands or best practices will need improvement.
Other ways to Help
Let us know if you struggled with some content, if something is missing, can be improved and you do not feel sure enough to make changes to a page. The way to do this is by making a comment on talk pages. Every wiki page has an associated talk page which can be used for discussion and communicating with other users. Talk pages can be accessed by clicking the “discussion” tab at the top of the page. Simply edit the page as normal to add your comment, following the conventions outlined in Help:Talk Pages.
Proposed Dates for 2015
Following the modifications we made in 2014 to make Document Day the last Wednesday of the month, this year's proposed dates are as follows:
- January 28, 2015
- February 25, 2015
- March 25, 2015
- April 29, 2015 (moved to May 6 because of the Hackathon)
- May 27, 2015
- June 24, 2015
- July 29, 2015
- August 26, 2015
- September 30, 2015
- October 28, 2015
- December 2, 2015 (due to holidays in November and December in multiple countries)
Some community members indicated that they would like an extra doc day on a public holiday or weekend. We are looking for proposed dates. Please add dates below and sign up besides it. If we get more than 5 people signed up, we should hold a day on a weekend.